Before setting off on any trip, you should always do some research. Below is a list of resources I found particularly useful when researching my trips.
Singapore/Myanmar (Burma)/Thailand – 2013 – Resources.
My research for this trip is indeed Myanmar (Burma) heavy, but given the political atmosphere within the country can change in a heart beat and my complete lack of knowledge about anything to do with Myanmar, I thought reading as much as I could about the country would be beneficial.
– Mynmar: Burma in Style. An illustrated history and guide. Caroline Courtauld. Odyssey Books and Maps.
– Burma: A Nation at the Crossroads. Benedict Rogers. Random House. 2012.
– The Lady and The Peacock: Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma. Peter Popham. Random House. 2012.
– Bewitched by Burma. Anne Carter. Matador. 2012.
– Myanmar (Burma). Lonely Planet. 2011.
– Singapore Encounter. Joshua Samuel Brown and Mat Oakley. Lonely Planet. 2010.
– Singapore City Guide. Joshua Samuel Brown and Mat Oakley. Lonely Planet 2009.
– Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Northern Thailand. Lonely Planet. 2012.
– The Asia Book. Lonely Planet. 2007.
These Travelblog.org users have provided wonderful, albeit sometimes gritty, and truthful information from the ground in Myanmar.
– DMJ Binkley